Verizon Staff Counsel – Market Support in Basking Ridge, New Jersey
What you’ll be doing...
Having the best wireless network means making sure we can operate wireless facilities where we need them—to provide the unparalleled connections and service our customers rely on. You will represent us in real estate, zoning, and land use matters to make sure we can put cell towers and other equipment where it needs to be. Your work will be critical in ensuring the best wireless experience for our customers---because customers pay us for services they can rely on.
Facilitating agreements for land use and zoning approvals where needed.
Collaborating with third parties to handle appeals and litigation.
Analyze regulations and work locally to affect changes to support the placement of our equipment.
Drafting and negotiating all types of siting agreements including leases, licenses, co-location, ground leases, and right-of-entry.
Streamlining processes to work towards faster resolution of all legal matters.
Verizon is seeking an experienced, hard-working, talented litigator to join its corporate litigation group. The group’s primary practice areas include consumer class actions, real estate, contracts, consumer and business fraud, products liability, securities, environmental, personal injury and insurance litigation. Responsibilities of the position include:
• Managing a docket of litigation against Verizon, including personal injury, property, and contract litigation.
• Developing case strategies; writing and editing briefs and motions; managing discovery; conducting fact investigations; identifying and interviewing witnesses, including expert witnesses; preparing witnesses for depositions and trial; and preparing for, and managing arbitrations, mediations, and settlement discussions.
• Providing clear and forceful direction to outside counsel and reporting internally on status and strategies in major matters.
• Working with Risk Management and third party claims administrator to ensure proper insurance coverage.
• Responding to third party subpoenas served on Verizon business units, including filing objections and/or motions to quash, gathering responsive documents, and identifying witnesses.
• Providing pre-litigation counseling to ensure that disputes are postured in the best way possible when litigation arises.
• Good academic performance at top tier law school.
• Member of bar of at least one state, with NY or NJ bar preferred.
• At least five to eight years federal or state court litigation experience in private practice or government.
What we’re looking for...
You understand how to win the support of all different types of people to make things happen and deliver results despite obstacles. You’re a creative thinker who can look beyond the obvious and come up with new and creative solutions. You anticipate risks and work to mitigate them before they become an issue. You are able to work independently and use solid judgment—but also know when to bring in others.
You’ll need to have:
JD degree or six of more years of work experience.
Six or more years of relevant work experience.
Bar membership and needed licenses.
Six or more years of legal experience.
Even better if you have:
Litigated real estate, zoning and land use matters.
Managed multiple, time-sensitive cases concurrently.
Effective written and verbal communication skills.
Demonstrated ability to influence and persuade others.
When you join Verizon...
You’ll be doing work that matters alongside other talented people, transforming the way people, businesses and things connect with each other. Beyond powering America’s fastest and most reliable network, we’re leading the way in broadband, cloud and security solutions, Internet of Things and innovating in areas such as, video entertainment. Of course, we will offer you great pay and benefits, but we’re about more than that. Verizon is a place where you can craft your own path to greatness. Whether you think in code, words, pictures or numbers, find your future at Verizon.
Equal Employment Opportunity
We're proud to be an equal opportunity employer- and celebrate our employees' differences, regardless of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, or Veteran status. Different makes us better.